Last updated: October 2020
Warner Bros. Entertainment UK Limited is the controller for the Data we Process relating to you. The controller is the entity which will be making decisions about how your Data will be used.
A FEW DEFINED TERMS
- "Data": we mean the information, materials and/or documents about you that you may share with us or that we collect or infer.
- "Corporate Position": any position other than crew member, talent and contributor of a Production (e.g. HR, legal, training schemes and apprenticeships etc.).
- "Film": we mean a live-action or animated film (or short film) intended either for cinema or home entertainment (such as Wonder Woman or Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) that you have either applied for, are being considered for or have been approached to appear in.
- "Marketing Communications": we mean offers, promotions, publicity, information, news and/or updates, job/casting opportunities and/or other marketing communications.
- "Process": we mean operation or set of operations which is performed on Data or on sets of Data, whether or not by automated means, such as collection, recording, organisation, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure or destruction.
- "Production": we mean either a Film or a Programme.
- "Programme": we mean the development, programme and/or series, whether a scripted or non-scripted production (including any other versions that we might create) that you have either applied for, are being considered for or have been approached to appear in.
- "Special categories of data": Data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, and the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person's sex life or sexual orientation as well as information about criminal conviction and offences or related security measures.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
When applying for one of our Productions or a Corporate Position, we will Process Data: (i) you provide us with as part of your application; (ii) where applicable, additional Data from third parties or public sources (e.g. recruitment/casting agencies and/or social media profiles through which we may contact you) and/or (iii) inferred Data (e.g. assessment of your application, notes taken during the interview/casting process etc.).
This Data may include for example, contact details (e.g. your name, address, email address and/or phone number) or casting information (e.g. gender, personal performance (including an image or video of you)) and details about your experience (e.g. CV, portfolio or showreel etc.).
In certain circumstances, in particular, if you are applying for one of our Productions, this information may also include your interests, audition materials and casting notes as well as Special categories of data such as information about your sex life/sexual orientation, medical information, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, genetic/biometric data and criminal history data. Where we do not ask you to provide Special categories of data as part of our application process, please refrain from providing such information (e.g. in your CV).
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION
We may Process your Data in ways that are considered as being in our legitimate interest because it is useful for us as part of our casting/recruitment activities. In this regard, we will use your Data:
- to make decision as to whether you are the right person for the position you have applied for or to take part in the Production;
- to contact you about your application and/or casting process and/or your involvement in the Production as well as to respond to any of your requests;
- in connection with any concerns or other matters that may arise from your involvement with us and/or the Production, such as any legal claims and any investigations;
- to investigate and resolve potential or actual conflicts of interest (where applicable);
- to consider you for any other Corporate Position or Productions intended to be produced by us or our affiliate companies; and
- to protect, enforce or defend our rights.
We may Process your Data to provide you with services and/or functionalities that may be available on our recruitment website (e.g. online profile and any related services/functionalities such as communication tools etc.).
We will ask for your consent, unless there is another legal basis for processing your information (e.g. a legitimate interest or a legal requirement) to:
- collect Special categories of personal data about you that we may need to assess your suitability for a Production or any relevant Corporate Position and/or analyse and monitor the diversity of our applicants. We will only process Special categories of personal data to the extent it is permitted by applicable law;
- carry out background checks (e.g. checking your references, credit references and/or criminal record): such background checks will be carried out only to the extent permitted by applicable law and at different stages of the application process depending on the type of application you’ve made (e.g. it may apply only to the successful or shortlisted applicants); and
- send you Marketing Communications: e.g. when applying for a Production, you have the option to choose whether or not you wish to receive Marketing Communications from us by email and/or on behalf of the commissioning broadcaster, distributor or exhibitor; our specially chosen partners; and/or sponsors in the entertainment, media and leisure sectors.
Where we are required by law to do so, we may also Process your Data:
- for Health and Safety reasons (e.g. we may use your Data to make sure that the environment is safe and/or appropriate);
- for the purposes of fact checking; and/or
- to comply with any legal investigations or enquiries
If you have applied to us via our website, please be aware that the website may contain links to other websites, including social media platforms. Please note that we are not responsible for the practices of other websites, including their privacy practices. We recommend that you make sure that you understand how other websites will use your personal data by reading their privacy policies.
When you visit us online, we, and our affiliates and third party service providers may use "cookies" or similar technologies, such as pixels and SDKs to (i) provide, develop, maintain, personalise, protect, and improve our website, apps, products, and services, (ii) perform analytics, including to analyse and report on usage and performance of our content and marketing materials, and (iii) protect against, identify, and prevent fraud and other unlawful activity, (iv) create aggregate data about groups or categories of our users. Cookies and other technologies also facilitate, manage, and measure the performance of advertisements displayed on or delivered by or through us.
Managing cookies and other technologies. In order to set your cookie preferences, please click on the Privacy Settings/Cookie Preferences button on our site, or use your app/browser settings.
These cookies are required to enable core site functionality.
- Strictly necessary cookies or similar technologies:
They are essential in order to enable you to move around our websites or apps and use its features, such as accessing secure areas. If you disable these cookies, some or all of the website or app features may not work.
These cookies allow us to analyse website usage so we can measure and improve performance.
- Performance cookies or similar technologies:
They collect information about how you use our website or apps, so that we can analyse traffic and understand users' interactions. We may use third party service providers such as Google Analytics who may use their own cookies or similar technologies for this purpose. You can find out more information about Google Analytics cookies here:
To opt-out of Google Analytics relating to your use of our websites, you can download and install the Browser Plugin available via this link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
- Functionality cookies or similar technologies:
They allow our websites or apps to remember choices you make (such as your username, or the region you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features.
INFORMATION SHARING AND DISCLOSURE
We are part of the Warner Media, LLC group of companies. We may sometimes share your Data with other companies within that group because the group companies may provide functions and services to help each other run our businesses and/or are involved in the recruitment decision making process.
We may also share your Data with other companies, organisations and/or individuals with whom we work with and/or who provide services to us. As a result of this, and where applicable, we may share your Data with: (i) our service providers; (ii) the organisation that operates our website; (iii) recruitment/casting agency, the production team, co-producers, the commissioning broadcasters, distributors and/or exhibitors, investors, insurers, distributors, IT system suppliers and/or travel and medical service providers of Productions; and/or (iv) where we have to, in order to comply with laws and/or as required by a court.
In respect of Marketing Communications:
- if you have indicated that you wish to receive Marketing Communications from us, then we will share certain Data, such as your name, email address and/or any other chosen method of communication with the organisations that help us send you Marketing Communications; and
- if you have indicated that you wish to receive Marketing Communications from someone else, then we will share certain parts of your Data, such as your name and contact details with that other organisation who will use it to send you the Marketing Communications that you have requested.
In respect of casting for other Productions: we will share certain Data such as your name, email address and/or such other chosen method of communication with development and/or production teams, commissioning broadcasters and/or distributors to contact you about potential opportunities, unless you have told us that you don't want us to.
In respect of Corporate Positions: we may share certain Data such as your name, CV and contact details with other group companies that could be interested in you for a similar position unless you have told us that you don't want us to.
We operate internationally, and some of the processes involved in our use of your Information will require your Information to be stored or processed in countries outside the country where you are located. In particular, your Information may be transferred to, and processed in the United States, where some of our systems are located.
Whenever we transfer your Information outside of a country or region, such as the European Economic Area, we will make sure that we take steps necessary to comply with applicable legal requirements. Therefore, where required, we will ensure that appropriate safeguards are in place by using appropriate contractual mechanisms, such as the EU Standard Contractual Clauses, or by relying upon the service providers’ participating in an approved international data transfer mechanism, including the adoption of Binding Corporate Rules. For further information about the documents we use to protect your Information when it is transferred outside of your country or region, please submit a request through our individual rights request portal here.
This means that the retention periods will vary according to the type of Data and the reason for which we need to process it (e.g. recruitment, Marketing Communication etc.). Please be aware that if you are a successful applicant your Data will be kept for a longer period (e.g., if you are cast in a Production, your Data will be kept for at least as long as the Production is being broadcast, distributed and/or exploited).
We have an internal retention policy that sets out varying retention periods for different categories of Data depending on our legal obligations and the purposes for which we need this information. After the relevant retention period has elapsed, the Data is securely deleted. For more information about our retention policy, please submit a request through our individual rights request portal here.
YOUR RIGHTS AND HOW TO CONTACT US
Subject to applicable laws (such as those in the EU) and to the extent legal requirements are met, you may have the following rights in relation to your Data:
- to withdraw your consent;
- to ask that we stop processing your data for specific purposes and in particular, for the purpose of sending Marketing Communications;
- to ask to see what Data we hold about you and to find out about the way that we process your Data;
- to ask us to provide a copy to a third party;
- to ask us to correct or update any Data which is inaccurate;
- to ask for Data to be deleted in some (but not all) circumstances;
- to ask us to temporarily stop using your Data;
- not to be subject to decisions made solely on the basis of 'automated processing' (i.e. the right not to be subject to decisions made solely by algorithms or computers without input from a human) in certain circumstances;
- notify us that you no longer wish to be considered for a Production (provided you’ve not already taken part in the Production); and
- tell us to stop sending you information about other casting opportunities or consider you for any further Corporate Positions.
Please, be aware that the rights set out above, are not always applicable and, under certain circumstances, we may not action your request. However, we will notify you of such decision.
If you would like to raise a complaint about how we Process your Data, please contact us by clicking the link above in the first instance and we will do all we can to help. If you are not happy with how we have responded to you, you have the right to complain to your local data protection authority.